A week from now, the movers come to empty out my apartment here in Ottawa. I really love this apartment, so I'm feeling wistful.
I'm also feeling rather stressed: I need to decide what shall I keep with me to take to Italy, and what shall I leave for movers to pack into storage?
Lists. I do know I need lots of lists.
I know that I'll definitely need:
1. European passport? Check!
2. Lots of money? Not possible, so check that right off.
3. Sense of humour? Check!
4. Good Italian language skills? Well, I'm working on it....
5. Thick skin since I'm sure to be mocked for weak Italian language skills? Check!
6. A job. I'm working on that and have some leads....so Check!
Since economics and Air Canada dictate I can only take two suitcases, I've got to narrowly define the essentials and jam 'em in.
So what is really essential?
1. Shoes (Italian shops don't carry large enough sizes for my long, elegant feet.)
1a. Dress shoes for work, when I find it.
1b. Casual shoes (but not too casual)
1c. One pair of running shoes for serious walks/gym
1d. One pair of boots (water and snow proof, not terribly fashionable.)
Yikes! That's one suitcase filled right there! I think I'm in trouble.
2. Some work clothes i.e. decent skirts, blazers, a few sweaters, dress pants.
3. More casual clothes for all the time I'm not working. Well, that will mostly be the work clothes again. I'm in Europe; you just don't wear casual clothes on city streets!
4. Really casual clothes, such as a couple pair of yoga pants and T-shirts that will never leave the apartment!
5. A pair of jammies, sox, etc.
Yeesh. This is getting ugly. I've mentally filled two suitcases already! And that doesn't include:
6. Personal papers, banking records, receipts. I'll be doing all my banking via Internet, which is really helpful. But I'll have to file my Canadian income taxes early next year. This is REALLY important because I'm expecting a refund. Whew!
7. A few favourite books. I know; I can buy books in Rome. But everyone has a few favourites that they like to re-read.
8. My favourite mug, a few small family photos and of course Teddy. After all, I'm not going to prison for heaven's sake. I'm allowed to have a few treasures.
9. A lot of electronics.
What have I forgotten?
(BTW, photos from the blog: Fashiontweed)