Sunday 19 January 2014

A January Sunday in Rome.

As a girl from the Canadian Prairies, I am still gobsmacked by the sight of Rome in January, and just how very green everything is….even a few wild flowers are pushing  their way through the hard soil of the Roman Forum.




How I love the sight of lemon tress and their bright fruit!


It was a bit cloudy as I made my way up the Capitoline Hill …




I felt sad to see that the gardeners of Rome's capitol hill have not been taking care of the delightful topiary figures of the iconic she-wolf, feeding babies Remus and Romulus (who now look like shaggy little shrubs)






Of course, I can never resist this shot of the Palatine Hill, from across Circus Maximus.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SIGH - you really know how to make a snowbound Canuck feel happy! *smile* It looks like a wonderful day to wander the eternal city.

Trekcapri said...

Hi Sandra, loved your photo collection. Even on a cloudy, rainy day Rome looks amazing. So rich in history. Those poor baby shaggy shrubs. Hoping the gardeners can help them out soon.

Thanks so much for sharing your January day in Rome with us.

Annie said...

I love these photos! I'm gobsmacked too at all the green and even lemons? That topiary is adorable even if a bit neglected.

sandrac said...

Thanks everyone! I hope that the next time I climb the Capitoline Hill, poor Remus and Romulus will look more like their topiary selves!